The history of Miercurea Ciuc
The heart of the Ciuc Basin, Miercurea Ciuc — a town on the left bank of the Olt river, at the foot of the Great Șumuleu peak, whose past spans a continuous Székely history from the Bronze Age to the present day.
Geographical and historical background
Miercurea Ciuc lies in the eastern part of Transylvania, in the middle of the Ciuc Basin, wedged between the volcanic range of the Harghita Mountains and the Ciuc Mountains, on the left bank of the Olt river, at the foot of the 1,033 m Great Șumuleu peak. The town developed at the crossroads of the north–south route following the Olt and the east–west routes through the Tolvajos and Ghimeș passes.
The area was already inhabited in the Bronze Age. In the time of the Árpád kings, the surroundings of Miercurea Ciuc formed part of the frontier system defending the country from the east. In the 12th century Kisvár and Őrvár may have been built on the outskirts of the town, while the Sóvár, guarding the salt road, stood on the summit of Great Șumuleu. To the south, on Castle Hill near Băile Jigodin, stood the Harom Castle — all forming part of the system defending the Transylvanian Basin from the east.
The origin of the town’s name is disputed: some sources derive it from the Wednesday weekly market, others from the Slavic "Szrodek" (middle, centre). Its Latin name is Sicolsburgum, in German Szeklerburg, and in Romanian Miercurea Ciuc.
Timeline of Miercurea Ciuc
The most important milestones in the town’s history:
Emergence of a market centre
At the beginning of the 15th century, by superior order, a small area was carved out of the territories of the neighbouring villages of Jigodin and Toplița-Ciuc, so that the Ciuc Seat could have its own market centre. In his 1427 charter of privileges, King Sigismund of Luxemburg noted that he had provided each Székely seat with a market place.
First documented mention
Queen Isabella mentions it for the first time as a market town in a letter. The queen exempted its inhabitants forever from every tax, with the exception of the tribute payable to the Ottoman sultan.
Subjection to a noble estate
Gábor Bethlen, Prince of Transylvania, granted the town to the Székely high nobleman Ferenc Mikó of Hidvég, also authorising him to build a fortified residence.
Construction of Mikó Castle
Ferenc Mikó of Hidvég, supreme captain of the Ciuc, Giurgeu and Cașin Seats, erected the town’s oldest surviving monument, the late-Renaissance Mikó Castle (Mikóújvár). Designed by the Italian Giacomo Resti, the 70×75-metre castle with four old-Italian bastions served primarily as a residence.
The Tatar devastation
On 21 October, the Ottoman–Tatar troops of Ali Pasha of Temesvár burst into Ciuc, captured and burned Mikó Castle, and ravaged the town. The attack was retaliation for the participation of Ciuc troops in the Polish campaign of György Rákóczi II.
Rebuilding of the castle
On the orders of Emperor Charles III, Count Stephan Steinville, imperial general, had Mikó Castle rebuilt as a military fort, integrating it into the eastern defensive line of the Habsburg Empire. The Ghimeș Pass was also secured.
Centre of the Székely border guard
From the organisation of the Székely border guard in 1764 until 1849, Mikó Castle served as the headquarters of the staff of the first Székely infantry regiment. During the Revolution of 1848–49, the castle was the headquarters of the Székely commander Sándor Gál. Several Ciuc battalions fought in Bem's army, playing a decisive role in the battle of Piski. In 1849 the poet Petőfi Sándor also visited the town.
Seat of Csík county
With the introduction of the modern county system, Miercurea Ciuc became the seat of Csík county, the administrative centre moving here from Șumuleu Ciuc. The town’s rapid development began.
The making of the modern town
In 1888 the hospital was rebuilt, in 1891 Csütörtökfalva and Mărtănuș (the surroundings of Mikó Castle) were annexed. On 5 April 1897 the railway was inaugurated, in 1898 the town hall was completed, and in 1911 the present building of the Márton Áron Lyceum, to which the four-centuries-old Șumuleu Ciuc school relocated. Electrification began.
Trianon — part of Romania
After the First World War and the Treaty of Trianon, the Székely Land and Miercurea Ciuc became part of Romania. In the same year, Csíkzsögöd (Jigodinul Ciucului) was annexed.
The Second Vienna Award
In 1940, together with Northern Transylvania, Miercurea Ciuc was returned to Hungary. In 1944 it was occupied by Soviet and Romanian troops; through the 1947 Paris Peace Treaty the Székely Land came again under Romanian rule.
The modern county centre
In 1959 Șumuleu Ciuc (formed by uniting Várdotfalva and Csobotfalva) and Toplița-Ciuc were annexed to Miercurea Ciuc. In 1968 it became the seat of Harghita County, in 1970 the Székely Museum of Ciuc opened in Mikó Castle, and in 1971 the town received the rank of municipality.
After the 1989 revolution
The Pentecost Pilgrimage at Șumuleu Ciuc has become, from 1990 onwards, the most significant Christian event of the entire Hungarian community worldwide. Miercurea Ciuc is the cultural, educational and sporting centre of the Székely Land: its famous ice hockey team, the country-wide renowned Csíki Beer, and the local faculty of the Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania reinforce the town’s role.
Mikó Castle — symbol of Miercurea Ciuc
Mikó Castle is the oldest and most important monument of Miercurea Ciuc and today the symbol of the town. It was built between 1623 and 1631 by Ferenc Mikó of Hidvég (1585–1635) — close counsellor of Prince Gábor Bethlen and treasurer of Transylvania. The late-Renaissance castle with old-Italian bastions, designed by the Italian Giacomo Resti, originally had a regular square plan (70×75 m), with a bastion at each of its four corners.
Over the centuries the castle has played many roles: a noble residence (1631–1661), after its destruction a military fortress (1714–1849), an imperial barracks, the staff headquarters of a Székely infantry regiment, and under Habsburg rule the centre of the eastern border defence. During the Revolution of 1848–49 it served as the headquarters of Sándor Gál.
Since 1970 — after a major restoration — the walls of the castle have housed the Székely Museum of Ciuc, with rich religious-art, ethnographic and historical collections. Each year the Miercurea Ciuc Early Music Festival is held in its courtyard. Thanks to the comprehensive restoration carried out between 2009 and 2012, it welcomes visitors in magnificent condition to this day.
Map — historical sites
The green markers indicate the main historical sites of Miercurea Ciuc. The map can be zoomed by scrolling.
Distinguished guests
"Miercurea Ciuc and Târgu Secuiesc have a beautiful countryside."
— Sándor Petőfi, in a letter to his wife Júlia (1849)